Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cookbook Spree & Tonight's Dinner

I told you a few posts ago that I was going to get some new cookbooks. You probably didn't think it would be this many! I didn't either! I go ages without buying any and then end up with a list of them that I really must try out. I may have gotten a little carried away, but I am so happy and I can't wait to start cooking from these. It was fun to plan for today's grocery shop for the week.

There is a home made chorizo recipe (for the taste of sausage without the preservatives and fat) in The River Cottage book that I can imagine in pasta and breakfast burritos for a start. Paprika Sirloin Steak Wrap and Real Mushroom Soup from Jamie's Dinners. Sono recipes will satisfy any sweet cravings and some savory ones too. I may start with the Soda Bread as I have Buttermilk to use up after doing the Everyday Food scone recipe. Jaffrey's book looks like it will really help me 'throw together' Indian dishes. I want to start with the Apricot Chicken. How to Cook Indian is a brand new book I bought on a whim having just learned of the author, Sanjeev Kapoor. It is huge! In my first look through, I especially liked some bean and lentil recipes and some of the vegetable curries. I know there will be more I want to make when I do more read throughs. It is a lot to take in.

I ordered a few books from AmazonUK too. I didn't want to wait until fall for Jamie's 30 Minute Meals book to be released here, for instance. The recipes from it that I've found online have been so good! And, with other cookbooks involving a lot of baking, I've decided I would really prefer metric versions. I will have to put an oven temperature conversion chart on the fridge for a quick reference though--some books don't include the F.

The Biscuiteer's Book is especially gorgeous and inspiring. (I would SO like to have their royal wedding cookies and tin!!) I can't wait to try some new ideas! I really love the dinosaur fossil cookies!

For tonight's dinner, I needed something easy and quick as it was getting pretty late and I was exhausted from today's appointments, chores and ongoing head cold. Jamie Oliver's Paprika Sirloin Steak Wraps from Jamie's Dinners were a perfect choice. The wrap has hummus, steak, tomatoes and arugula dressed with lemon and EVOO, sour cream and an extra sprinkle of paprika. So great tasting!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh...I am in love with Biscuiteers website and their adorable Biscuits. Thanks for posting about them...I'm going to buy their book now thanks to you!