Sunday, April 17, 2011

Chinese-Style Spare Ribs

The May issue of Everyday Food magazine (issue 82) arrived in the mail last week and browsing through it I was drawn to the easy spare rib recipe.

I have never had Sambal Oelek chili sauce (which I'd like to find or make sometime!), so I substituted with Sriracha.

The glaze was sticky, sweet and spicy!

I served the ribs with a mix of whole grains (brown rice, wild rice, wheat and rye). And, peas. They are from last year's garden, of course! As we get down to the bottom of the chest freezer, we find the first things that went into it. I love finding an unexpected hoard of peas. I scattered some chopped scallions over the top.

The other recipe I bought ingredients for from this issue is the Orange-Poppy Scones, so I will let you know about those when I make them. At some point, maybe for Easter, I want to try the Coconut-Lime Berry Cake. The Berry Cornmeal Pound Cake looks good too. For me, I guess most of the stand-out recipes in this issue are dessert type foods.

1 comment:

2paw said...

Your grains are very interesting, we don't seem to have such a variety here. The ribs look delicious!