Thursday, August 12, 2010

Salad Variations

I've raved at least a couple of times about Nigella Lawson's Greek Salad from her book Forever Summer. I make variations of it regularly. Lately, I've been skipping the lettuce and primarily using the cukes and tomatoes from the garden. Recently, when I had leftovers from a batch of this salad, the following day I boiled a little pasta and then tossed it into the veggies and dressing. It turned out to be a great idea!

In this instance the approximate recipe was:
In one bowl: 1 medium red onion sliced thinly, drizzled with red wine vinegar, sprinkled with oregano, tossed and allowed to sit for awhile.
In another bowl: A bunch of cherry tomatoes, cut up and sprinkled with sugar and a little kosher salt, tossed and allowed to sit for awhile.
In the serving bowl: 1 medium cuke, sliced. And, a generous grinding of black pepper, crumbling of feta and some halved/quartered Kalamata olives.
After the onions have sat for a bit, add olive oil to them. Then, add the onion mixture and the tomato mixture to the serving bowl and toss everything together.

I like it just like that, but add the pasta (partly cooled) and toss and that's what you see in the picture.

I'll definitely be making this again!

No comments: