Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Fall Book Wish List

Today is a happy day! I have a copy of the brand new Inspector Banks book by Peter Robinson, a series I absolutely love.

It was a dim, rainy evening, perfect for bookstore browsing, so I ended up with several other things too. I look forward to the fall fashion issues like In Style and Style Watch. I got the Fall Vogue Knitting and Knitscene and got the summer Verena on a whim before the fall one replaces it. I was hoping to see a couple of bread books that have been recommended to me, but didn't find them...in the meantime, I'm going to read through the River Cottage Handbook. I've made bread since I was a kid, but am looking for some new ideas and lessons in the more European artisan type breads that are so popular and tasty.

Having a new Robinson book is helping me cope with the fact I've now read all of Gillian Bradshaw's historical fiction and historical fantasy books. Fortunately, she is working on more! Until then, I think I will start to look for copies of the sci-fi by Bradshaw that I haven't read yet. Those books are titled Bloodwood, The Somer's Treatment, Dangerous Notes and The Elixir of Youth. I also want to read Bill Bryson's upcoming.

When I pick up my needles more often as the weather cools, I am thinking I will treat myself to some of the new fall knitting books. Here are the ones I am thinking about:

Martin Storey's designs once again appeal to me in the Rowan book, Silk Twist Classics.

This knit fashion is interestingly inspired by each decade of the 20th century, Strikketoj by Helga Isager...I hope it's in English?!

There are a few books I've found on Amazon coming out this fall/early winter that interest me too and I want to see. Modern Top-Down Knitting: Sweaters, Dresses, Skirts & Accessories Inspired by the Techniques of Barbara G. Walker, Dolce Handknits: Simple, Sophisticated Designs, and Modern Knits, Vintage Style: Classic Designs from the Golden Age of Knitting.

This book makes me want to sew more: Sew Serendipity: Fresh and Pretty Designs to Make and Wear! And this Sedaris book, Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People might be funny.

I still want to order a copy of Misty by Kim Hargreaves from an earlier wish list. I am interested to see what her fall/winter styles will be! Does anyone know, are there any previews available yet?

Although I cook all year long anyway, I always feel a renewed excitement about it in the fall when it's nice and cozy to have something bubbling on the stove or in the oven.

I am quite likely to want the newest cookbooks by two of my favorite cooks. Nigella Lawson's book Kitchen is to be released here on October 12th. Ina Garten has a book coming out called How Easy Is That? on October 26th.

I am also looking at some newer books on preserving the garden's bounty, so I can add to my repertoire of canning and freezing recipes. I'd like some more salsa and hot sauce type recipes for using my peppers which grow so abundantly. I haven't quite decided which ones yet, so I'll post about those if I get them. Likewise, I'll keep you posted on the bread baking book purchases too.

I'd better make some space on the bookshelves!!

2 comments:

2paw said...

Such a beautiful display of books and magazines!! It's wonderful when a favourite author has a new book, and terrible when you've read them all!!
I have Nigella's new book on order!!

knitseashore said...

You found a lot of great things at the bookstore. I am trying soooo hard to be good. We're trying to "weed" but I haven't taken very many books off the shelves yet.

There are a lot of vintage knitting books coming out this fall; I'm looking forward to seeing the patterns to see if I will like them or not. Do you know what projects you might like to do yet, or are you still finishing Jeff's sweaters?