Sunday, August 01, 2010

No, it's not fall, but...

This is an image that looks like fall, yet it was taken on August 1st.

I especially love the color of the Jarrahdale.

While there are quite a few ripe winter squash and some of the early leaves are going brown, there are still a lot of immature ones and the plants are still setting new ones too. This picture shows the yellowing leaves.

But look at all the lush ones here. And you can even see some tiny fruits.

This jack o'lantern will be a beauty!

The tomatoes are starting to ripen, beginning with the cherry varieties.

I have begun to pull up the spent cuke vines. I will have to use the wheelbarrow to move this lot to the burn pile.

I think I will pull out the zukes really soon. They are not really producing much anymore and they have given in to the annual mildew that eventually turns the leaves whitish.

Here are the beginnings of the burn pile. I have so much cutting to do again. It seems like all the stuff I cut back last fall and spring has regrown even bigger. I made my arms ache from all the cutting I did on Saturday!

I just like this view of the garden.

Although parts of the garden are winding down, you can see others are still going strong. Here is a healthy looking second crop cuke plant.

We're eating the first crop of string beans at the moment. We've had some roasted eggplants too, with homemade egg pasta, though the eggplants are not setting fruit very well. There seem to be a bunch of aphids on just the eggplants, but no other veggies. Still, I think we'll get plenty!

I'm hoping for a couple more months of good pickings!!

1 comment:

2paw said...

Wow, lovely pumpkins. I am a bit sad that parts of your garden are now past their best and ready to be burnt. Do you carve a pumpkin for Halloween???