Saturday, June 26, 2010

Really Fresh Pasta

I tried out my new pasta roller and cutters today. As I probably mentioned before, I've only made pasta once before, rolled out by hand and formed into ravioli with an improvised filling. It was good, but I really wanted the roller to make it easier. So, something like 13 years later, I finally have some rollers! I'm not sure why it took me so long, but time flies and it is kind of an investment to get the equipment, so I wanted to know I'd use it.

I used my food processor to form an egg pasta dough, kneaded it by hand for 2 minutes and set it under a bowl to rest for about 15 minutes.

I hooked up my new roller to the stand mixer that powers it.

After I had some sheets, I cut them into fettuccine. It went on the drying rack as I made it.

Then, it was boiled for three minutes. Perfectly al dente.

At the same time, I heated a small amount of cream seasoned with fresh ground black pepper. Then, I tossed the pasta with the cream and a little parm.

Jeff was my taste tester (the dogs' opinion doesn't count, but they were crazy for raw pasta scraps!). Jeff was SO impressed =)

It was a surprisingly quick and easy process. I don't know if it was beginner's luck, but I didn't have any troubles! I am planning to make up a batch of fettuccine tomorrow to serve with fresh zukes and basil from the garden! Soon, I want to try some filled pastas and veggie lasagna with the sheets of fresh pasta.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Mmmmmm, I could eat pasta every day, especially with fresh veggies. I've never made it myself, and don't think I've ever eaten homemade pasta.

knitseashore said...

Congratulations -- that is awesome! I'm looking forward to reading about more of your adventures with raviolis and lasagna.

madalyn said...

Yum! Someday I'm going to attempt making homemade pasta!