Sunday, June 20, 2010

First Big Freezing of the Season

Today, I filled the green colander and larger red bowl in the picture, twice.

Jeff and I sat in the living room, shelling peas and listening to music.

Then, we set up an assembly line to blanch, ice bath, bag and freeze. Total for today: 27 cups in 10 bags. Some have generous 3 cup amounts and others are generous 2 cup amounts.

While I picked, Jeff weed whacked a lot. He was working at the end of the peas when I snapped this picture to show you scale. That's a pretty wild crop of pea vines! You'll have to take my word for it that they are in rows on chicken wire fencing and it is easy to walk between them for picking.

The dogs ate a whole bunch of pea pods and zukes. I cut a big zuke up into chunks so Saffy and Silas would get equal amounts. Here's Saffy working on some. Despite the wrinkled nosed expression, I know she was loving it.

In the morning, I'm going to start grating the zukes for freezing. And, I may need to pick more peas too, though I'm hoping just 'dinner' amounts for a day or two!

1 comment:

2paw said...

What a productive garden and kitchen you have. Saffy looks like she is enjoying her vegetables!!!