Sunday, March 06, 2011

Tikka Masala

I love Indian food, especially a "smegging hot vindaloo", as Lister says in Red Dwarf. But other types of curry appeal to me too, so today I made Chicken Tikka Masala from Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution book.

I pulled quite a few ingredients off shelves and out of cabinets and the fridge and thought they all looked pretty arranged together. The cumin and coriander seeds were toasted, then ground in the mortar.

Then, I ground everything into a paste in the mini prep.

The smell was SO amazingly good.

The onions, chili, cilantro and ginger were sauteed in some peanut oil and butter.

I added in the paste, chicken breasts, tomatoes, coconut milk and water and simmered until cooked and slightly thickened.

While that cooked, I prepared the basmati rice. My only real shortcut today was to buy some garlic Naan from the store, even though it's easy enough to make and cook on the pizza stone.

I managed to take a picture even though Jeff was standing by and desperate to tuck in! The finishing touches were a dollop of yogurt, squeeze of lemon and sprinkle of cilantro.

We have plenty left for dinner tomorrow. I forgot to add the mango chutney I'd bought specially for it, so we will have that with the leftovers. I could have sprinkled some slivered almonds over it too, so maybe next time.

2 comments:

2paw said...

Oh that looks so delicious!! You are so clever to make this from scratch.

knitseashore said...

Sounds like you are discovering lots of new favorites through Jaime Oliver!