Sunday, March 13, 2011

Seed Starting

It's one of my favorite times of year, when I begin sowing seeds for the garden. I have a lot of seeds to sort and start, like these from various mail order sources:

and the ones from Agway that I bought yesterday.

Today, I planted the first milk jugs with seeds including Swiss Chard.

When I'm not trying to push the season, I sow everything outside in milk jugs or trays in the cold frame. But most years, I give the more tender seeds a head start indoors, warmed by heat mats and lit by grow lights. This year, I will be starting Tomatoes, Peppers and Eggplants inside. I'll post a picture of that setup soon.

Plants started in previous years are starting to emerge including Money Plant, Lilies, hardy Geraniums, Dianthus and Primrose. The Poppies are already looking quite lush, as you can see in this picture, above Saffy's head. She was checking for new growth with me while Silas ran around with toys and rolled in some dirt.

Fortunately, Silas and Saffy can't roll in this as it's all bagged up!

I got some moo doo, pelletized lime and fertilizer yesterday.

In addition to continuing to sow seeds, soon I need to get some bark mulch and another couple of rolls of plastic mulch. And, it's time to get raking, clipping, pruning, etc!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Spring fever has arrived! But you and I both know what can happen with New England weather...

2paw said...

Wow, it just seems lie yesterday there was snow everywhere. You have enough to plant for an army!! I am looking forward to seeing your lush garden this year.
Saffy is a good helper,but it sounds like Silas just wants something smelly!!