Friday, March 18, 2011

I couldn't wait any longer...

it was time for a BBQ! I've had such a craving for it, even if the food was in danger of going cold between the grill and coming in the house. What a good way to celebrate a random Friday night in March!

I decided to try a new-to-me sauce from the Jamie At Home book. It filled the kitchen with a wonderful aroma. (The video that goes with this recipe is online. The bbq sauce recipe starts at about 5:46.)

Vegetarians, avert your eyes, this was definitely going on meat. I butterflied a whole chicken and got sauce into every cranny.

Although it cooked in the oven, Jeff had the job of doing the finishing touches on the grill, crisping/blackening the skin and glazing it with more sauce and drippings.

The cat positioned himself strategically in the doorway and elevated on a box with a good line of sight to the grill. He loves grillings!

The dogs were looking very sorry for themselves in the kennel, out of reach of the grill. Today was the first day this year warm enough for them to spend hours at a time outside. They were very excited about it.

To go along with the chicken, I made up a batch of boiled new potatoes with buttermilk ranch dressing, a recipe I love from the March issue of Everyday Food Magazine. For a bit of green, we had string beans which are also incredible with the ranch dressing.

2 comments:

knitseashore said...

MMM Grilling Out! I still love the idea, though these days I'll be doing more pizza and vegetables, and leave the chicken to Chris. :)

2paw said...

Men and their barbecues, it's a primitive instinct, isn't it?? Your dinner looks so delicious!! When I was teaching down the West Coast, it rained most days, all year round, so we just did everything in the rain,and the cold, regardless. Otherwise you miss ut, like those poor dogs, look at them separated from the barbecue, and the cat has free range!! I bet they are glad to be able to run and play outside again. I can't imagine two Labradors with cabin fever!!!