Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Start to the Indoor Seed Sowing

It doesn't look like much yet, but today I planted 3 trays with tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and some romaine lettuce. They are set on heat mats. I'll be lowering the lights to just above the plastic covers. My lights are suspended by little chains and 's' hooks, so it's easy to adjust them.

This tray is mostly tomatoes, some eggplants and a little romaine.

The tray to the back is all tomatoes. The tray in the foreground is all peppers.

After the shoots come up, I will prick them out and transplant them to individual containers.

I'll keep pottering away and start some cabbage, herbs and flowers too. When I'm not sowing, I can start filling pots with soil in preparation for potting on and for starting seeds outside in the cold frame. And, I have more milk jugs ready to turn into 'mini greenhouses' too.

I am so looking forward to the growing season. I hope we have good weather for it, so all these varieties thrive and provide us with amazing food!

1 comment:

2paw said...

You are so organised!! You will have a bumper crop this year. My next door neighbour is growing my garlic for me along with hers. It's the only way they'll survive!!