Thursday, June 28, 2007

Tour de France KAL

It's time to join the first ever Tour de France KAL and select a jersey! I've chosen yellow and the hosts, Debby and Meg, have kindly added me to the list.

A few months ago, I fell in love with RYC Silk Wool DK yarn and started to keep an eye out for a chance to use it! How appropriate is it that my new yarn love will be used for a summery pattern titled 'Holiday Romance'! It was published in Simply Knitting, Issue 20. (You can read the magazine blog here.) The pattern calls for RYC Cashcotton DK, so I should have no trouble with the substitution as far as gauge. The cashcotton is a little softer and 'fluffier' than the silk wool.

It's a fairly simple off the shoulder top with lace ribbing at the waist, neckline and sleeves. I've chosen a golden tan shade, unglamorously named 'cord' like something you'd use in the garden to tie up tomatoes! It's much prettier than the name suggests! I am pairing this yarn and pattern because I think the silk and wool blend will have good stitch definition to really show off the lace ribbing. The silky sheen will make the top a bit special.

I think it's perfect for my armchair Tour de France holiday! I can imagine wearing this to an outdoor cafe for my morning latte and croissant. Since this is an imaginary holiday, that croissant is filled with the most decadent, high calorie, dark chocolate...Ummmm...where was I? Well, assuming I haven't grown too fat from my croissant, I can also imagine wearing this as a beach cover up as I stroll along the sands of the Mediterranean shore. And, undoubtedly, I could wear it while cheering for the awesome cyclists of the Tour!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm am eye witness to the beauty of your KAL yarn. It will be perfect for the pattern.

Anonymous said...

I have not worked with that yarn before but it looks so pretty! YAY to the yellow jerseys!

Anonymous said...

I don't know who names wool colours but they often do a poor job!! The top looks very pretty and Sunnery and I think it would look with fantastic with a latte and a croissant!!! I have finally asked to join the TdF, with a Green Jumper of course!!

Devorah said...

Pretty! We will have to have a french themed lunch when the Tour is over so we can wear our new togs.