Monday, July 24, 2006

My Weekend

Saturday, Jeff and I went for our first bike trip on the new mountain bikes. We started at the Amtrak station in Kingston, RI, and went a little way along the South County Bike Path before turning off to head into the Great Swamp. The first part was solid gravel roadway, then it turned into old roads with two wheel ruts and we would ride along in a rut for the most part. In some areas it was overgrown with grass and vines were reaching into the paths and in other places the ruts were a bit washed out and we had to navigate the cobbles, so we got to try the new bikes out on a variety of terrain.

Sunday, we returned to the Great Swamp for another ride, but this time, halfway in, I had a puncture/flat tire! We had to walk out of the swamp, pushing the bikes. UGH! I didn't have a trail kit with me to try to mend it. I'd been planning to put one together this week! Well, we made it back to the truck and went to the bike shop for a new tube and trail kit supplies. Even after all that, we still wanted to finish the trail! So, we went back to the Swamp and made it around the entire loop. We even went down one of the extra trails to see the view of Worden Pond at the end.

Here's a pic of the Great Swamp from our ride on Saturday.


I didn't do much knitting this weekend, but I am still working on Tulips. The back is finished, but after I finished it and laid it out, I realized that you can detect where I changed one of the balls of yarn. The yarn I used was all the same lot number, but that one ball is definitely different than the others, now that I see it all knitted up. I will knit the front pieces and sleeves and then decide whether to frog it or not.

Over the weekend, I bought the latest issues of Simply Knitting and Knit Simple. I don't have immediate plans to make anything from them as my to do list is long enough at the moment, but they are fun to just look at. Here is a pic of some pretty Lorna's Lace I recently purchased for a future sock project. It's desert flowers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a great time on the trail, other than the flat tire! I'm glad that didn't ruin your day.

The desert flowers yarn looks so pretty! I'm sorry to hear about Tulips though. That is really frustrating.

Melissa said...

I envy your motivation to bike ride. I really want to start riding, but haven't really made any effort to start.
I love the LL, gorgeous!!!