Saturday, August 06, 2011

Roasted Tomatillo and Tomato Salsas

Friday, I made the first batches of salsa this summer.

Here are the ingredients, minus the onion, garlic, lime and salt. I used a lot of Fooled You Jalapenos for pepper flavor and added the Garden Salsas in for heat (and flavor too!). Mine are hotter than expected this year! I think it's because the weather has been so hot and dry.

I had to roast things in three batches so they would fit on the pan ok. Here are the tomatoes, garlic cloves in their papers and the 3 early tomatillos.

The peppers, halved, with stems and seeds removed, ready to roast until a little blackened and very soft.

The onions having their turn. (I had guesstimated too many and set aside about 4 wedges for something else.)

In the food processor, I pulsed together the tomatillos, 1/4 of a Garden Salsa pepper and 1/2 a Jalapeno and a small clove of garlic. Isn't that easy? It is tasty and quite hot!

Then, I switched over to making the tomato salsa. I pulsed the tomatoes in two batches and added them to a big mixing bowl. Then, I pulsed the garlic and onions and added those to the tomatoes. Then, I pulsed all the Jalapenos and added them to the mix. Finally, I pulsed all the Garden Salsa peppers, but only added some to taste. I reserved the rest in a separate bowl, so we can add more after it's sat for awhile and blended--if we want more heat. At the very end, I stirred in a little salt and the juice of one lime. Cilantro would be a perfect addition to add in at the end too. Unfortunately, I got the timing wrong and my early Cilantro went to seed and my next crop is not far enough along! Ack!!!

This will be great for snacking on all weekend!

No comments: