Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hot Pepper Relish and Sauce

I'm working on some new to me recipes from a book called The Joy of Pickling 250 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market (Revised Edition) by Linda Ziedrich.

Today, I picked our Cherry Bomb peppers to make the Southeast Asian Chile-Garlic Relish. I minced 2 heads of garlic--which is a sneeze inducing amount!

The relish is so simple, but so tasty! It keeps in the fridge for a long time and can be a condiment or added into all kinds of recipes. Later, I put it into quart jars for easier storage.

Another recipe in the book uses some of the relish and some of that minced garlic to make an amazing stir-fry type sauce called Sweet Chile-Garlic Sauce. It is prettier in real life with the light streaming through it. I wish you could have a taste! I really enjoyed licking out the pot after bottling it. Again, this keeps in the fridge for a long time without need for canning. (However, I wish there were directions for canning it as I would love to share it with family and friends!)

I have to get some chicken or pork and make up a stir-fry soon with some of our sweet peppers too.

I highly recommend both of these recipes. Over the next few days, I'm going to try a couple more recipes from the book and will let you know how they work for me.

2 comments:

2paw said...

Gorgeous little peppers. I have a microplane and I always grate my garlic. I chop off the pointy end and hod the root end and you can pretty much grate it all. It does look lovely in the jar.

2paw said...

Oh our Library has a copy of this book, so I have placed a hold. Thanks for the information.