Sunday, January 21, 2007

Show & Tell: Tins

This morning, I read Audioknits latest post about her old tins. I thought, what a great idea for a post! So, here are some pics of my tins.

My Grandmother gave me this spring crocus tin. She saved buttons and little sewing odds and ends in it and it is still full and very heavy. It has a little residue on the lid from an old label, but I'm not sure how to get it off without hurting the tin, so I've left it alone.

This is one of my favorite tins. I love the pink color and the blossoms. It holds makeup pencils, etc., on my bureau.

This is a Louis Sherry chocolate tin that my Grandmother got in NYC in the late 1920's or early '30's. I don't keep anything in it at the moment and just have it on display. I love the vivid colors. It looks a bit like a porcelain box, don't you think? Grandmother had a couple of larger ones too that she used to keep her gloves in.

This is the Queen and her husband. The tin is not in the best condition, but I still like it.

The last item is not a tin, rather an interesting paper box with an arched lid. Inside it is red and says "No Mend Silk Stockings". It's a little fragile, so I just use it for display.

Do you save old tins too? What do you keep in yours? If you post pics of them on your blog, please leave the link in a comment for me.

I'm a collector, so I have lots of odds and ends around the house. I'll try to feature something in a "show & tell" post every month...remind me if I forget!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What lovely tins. I don't collect tins but my mum does and my nans did. Lots of thing came in nice tins in 'the olden days'!!! They are hard to find now, and the ones I have seen at markets are very expensive.

Anonymous said...

That is a pretty collection. Old tins seem to bring back memories for a lot of people, plus they are useful to boot.

Anonymous said...

What a pretty collection! I really enjoyed seeing your photos and look forward to more of them. :)