Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Garden & Cooking Update

Today, I pickled 8 more pints of pickles. Here are the cukes just after washing. It was hot work picking all those, to say nothing of the canning process!

When it gets a little cooler in the evening, it is fun to wander around and peer under leaves. Here is a pumpkin!

I am slowly getting the tomatoes tied up. There are a number of small, green tomatoes.

Another view of tomatoes.

Three varieties of string beans are in this row, so I will be able to cook up mixes of yellow and green types.

Jeff stood next to some sunflowers for scale.

Beans, 4 o'clocks and 2 rows of zinnias.

4 o'clocks.

A close up of a gaudy, bright 4 o'clock bloom. I have a mix of colors. These broken color, peachy ones are some of my favorites.

The flowers outside the veggie garden are more subdued hues. Here are some balloon flowers by the house. They are slightly more purple than this picture shows...one of those colors that is hard for the digital camera to get.

A little bit of the herb bed.

Pretty coneflowers.

And, as if today wasn't busy enough with picking, pickling, tomato tying, a big UPS delivery, and more I forget...I made fresh 3 cheese ravioli! The filling is a mix of soft goat cheese, ricotta and Pecorino Romano with egg for binding.

They were delicious! Do you like my rustic squares? They were varied, but they all held together during cooking and that's the important thing.

There are already too many pictures in this post, so soon I will do another post to show you some of the lovely new things delivered recently to dress up my kitchen/dining room!

3 comments:

2paw said...

Your garden is looking very productive and pretty and those ravioli look delicious. The filling sounds so yummy!!!

knitseashore said...

Everything looks so lush and well-cared for! Clearly, I need you to come over and help me fix mine. :)

I hope Silas survived the fireworks OK.

yarnivorous said...

Wow, just look at your garden! Amazing!
We are about to start kitchen renovations. Wish us luck...