Sunday, April 29, 2007

Only 1 week to go!

While most of my bike rides are spontaneous, there are a couple of event rides this year that I am especially looking forward to and require pre-registration due to their popularity.

The first organized bike event I'll be taking part in is the 5 Boro Tour in NYC on May 6th! Jeff and I received our tour registration packets in the mail and here is one of the vests.

It seems most practical to use our mtn bikes on this ride. We won't have to worry about them being tightly packed with other bikes on the train. Also, it will be easier to see the scenery riding in a more upright position and the standard, flat pedals will be better for riding the crowded route.

Looking at my ride log, I noticed we hadn't had the mtn bikes out for a spin since January 14th. So yesterday, Jeff and I got them out of the barn and went over them, cleaned them, oiled the chains and pumped up the tires. We decided to do a test ride in preparation for the Tour! We rode 27 miles of the East Bay Path at an average speed of 14mph. The pace was relaxed, easy and fun. We enjoyed the sunshine and views and shared some snacks as we pedaled along.

Although I haven't followed any specific training program in preparation for the Tour, I have enough miles in my legs that I should have a fun time riding though NYC.

We'll be riding with Debby and Chris!

1 comment:

Devorah said...

Look for us Squid! (assuming I'm allowed to ride) The kids have their Squid flags on their bikes. *g*