Thursday, March 01, 2007

Lace Knitting Question, Cabin Fever

On the RYC lace top, I am having a problem with asymmetry that is bugging me, but I'm carrying on with it anyway. Do you have experience with shaping lace knitting? My problem is that I have to decrease for the sleeves and armholes while *keeping in pattern*. Well, I can mostly keep in pattern, but what do you do when you can't because, for example, there is a yarn over at the end of the row?

What has happened is that I have two more rows on one side of each sleeve and the back. The front will end up being the same way. (At least it will be consistent for seaming up!) It's not a huge deal, so I'm going to continue as is, however, I'd love to know how to deal with this issue in future!

My biggest frustration is the fact that every picture they show of the finished top is carefully cropped or arranged to *not* show the crucial bits. That makes me very suspicious that they had the same trouble I'm having and didn't want to show it!

Anyway, I'd love your advice about this. Perhaps you know of a book that teaches 'advanced' decreases, etc, for keeping in pattern while working lace?

I'll take some progress pics for you soon. It's too dim for photography at the moment.

****

Earlier today, the sun was shining and even though the temperature was only 35 degrees, Jeff and I went for a mid-day bike ride. We both have such cabin fever! We did one of our favorite 20 mile rides that has hills spaced perfectly for interval training.

I'm still having a lot of fun with my Garmin bike computer. Here is a chart from today's ride showing the elevation in green and the speed in purple. (You can click on it to see it clearly.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate that too!! I try to start and end the inc/dec in the same place on each row, and I count my stitches every inc/dec row and I just do stocking stitch till there are enough stitches to make a whole pattern again. I think there is a lot of underarm cheating going on too!!!

Anonymous said...

Cool graphic! I gotta figure out how to do that. Looks like the speed is all over the place though - is that chart from the motionbased?