Friday, July 22, 2011

Baba Ghanoush

Oh my. The heat is extreme today! Stepping out the door is like stepping into an oven. I had to make a few, slow trips to the garden to pick eggplants, peppers, tomatoes and zukes.

Would you believe? I decided I had to roast eggplants for making Baba Ghanoush. It's ironic that such a cool, refreshing summer snack requires preparation in a 400 degree F oven! (It felt like they could roast right in the garden!)

I used 2 Burpee Hybrid eggplants. The recipes generally call for one, but I pick them a little on the small side to avoid seediness.

All roasted and wrinkly. Roasted eggplant smells delicious! Next time, I'm going to roast the garlic cloves along with it, in their skins. Sometimes they can be a little sharp tasting and that will mellow them nicely.

Ready for dipping! I have some multigrain pita chips to dip for tonight's appetizer. I might sprinkle over some chopped parsley and/or cutting celery before serving.

I followed this recipe, basically exactly, though I didn't measure the lemon juice (I used 1 whole lemon) and I also just eyed the amount of tahini too, but I think I was pretty close. Oh, I just remembered I didn't bother to add the olive oil, but I can still drizzle it over later.

1 comment:

2paw said...

It is very ironic that in a heat wave you make cool food in the hot oven. On the radio news it was reporting the heatwave in North America today, 48 or even 50*C. I hope you have a cool place to be??
I love roasted garlic, once I made Tzatziki with raw garlic and it was horrid. Way too strong.
Your BG looks so delicious!! Happy snacking!!