Monday, September 18, 2006

Weekend Visit, Today's Cooking

Saturday, my husband and I had a lovely visit with She Knits By the Seashore and C. We met up in Niantic, CT, at an enormous used book store called the Book Barn, but it should be the Book Barns as it consists of multiple buildings and levels crammed with books! We bought a stack of books before venturing on to the Book Barn Annex downtown where we found a couple more books! Around the corner from the bookstore, we found a bike shop to investigate. Jeff and I bought a set of tools for our bike trail kit. For lunch, we drove over to Mystic and went to a Mexican restaurant called Margherita's. Then, we worked off lunch with a 14 mile bike ride around the seaside towns of Mystic and Stonington and enjoyed sights like a stone lighthouse, early New England homes and old stone walls. The weather was gorgeous and we had a wonderful time! I got to see Debby's Central Park Hoodie too. She is working on the back and the tweed she chose is so pretty!

This morning, I made a French Onion Soup since I always crave soups in fall. The dogs were initially excited to see me doing Things In The Kitchen as they usually get treats (whatever I drop on the floor). But today was very disappointing for them as dogs do not get onions. The hopeful, smiley gazes quickly turned to woeful stares and long, theatrical sighs. How could I neglect them so!!!


I got the recipe from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook and it's one of my favorites. The soup came out great as usual (I got to sample it for lunch) and we'll have it for dinner with some French bread and melted Jarlsberg on top. Yummm!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at that doleful glance!! In our house it's crinkly paper!! A whole shop of books!! Wow!!
I think soup is transition food. I am making soup for Spring - all asian greens and noodles with ginger and garlic and soy sauce!!

Anonymous said...

You had a lovely day for your visit with Debby and beautiful scenery to ride through. Margarita's is one of my family's favorites!

Anonymous said...

We had such a good time with you both and we're so glad you enjoyed yourselves. We need to do another bike ride soon! I'm sorry we had to leave so quickly.

Do you think the dogs would eat onions if you let them try it? Are they bad for the dogs to eat? The warm soup sounds wonderful!