Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Quick Update

I am working on the hood part of my cabled hoodie sweater. It's going quite well. I actually tried it on yesterday after I seamed up the sides. After the hood, I still have to knit the border around the front opening and the sleeves.

I began the fall veggie garden cleanup Tuesday by pulling up half the drip hoses and then mowing with the tractor. It's fun to drive over everything and have the blades chew it up. I left the grains, sunflowers, zinnias and 4 o clocks standing as they still look pretty. I still have to harvest peppers and tomatoes and then I will mow down that half too. Jeff is planning to till soon. We want the garden to be all fixed up this fall, so it won't be much work to prepare in the spring.

While I was mowing in the garden, I noticed about 10, huge, praying mantis bugs!! I guess we have a big population of them because of all the butterflies that visit the flowers. They are so creepy looking!

The weather has been good for biking. We've only skipped one day so far this month and we've already ridden 180 miles for the month. Our goal is to try to ride at least 300 miles total for September. It will depend on the weather and how much off pavement riding we do. We don't go as far on the rough stuff. Here's a pic of Jeff riding in the woods last Saturday.


The dogs are sneaking into the edge of the garden to try to eat tomatoes and peppers off the plants!! Bandit keeps cleaning out his food dish and meowing for more. I think he is trying to bulk up for winter despite the fact that he's an indoor cat!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you have a lot of preparation for winter in the garden. Do you do any planting now, or wait until early spring?

300 miles is a terrific goal for biking. Let's hope the weather stays nice for a while longer.

Anonymous said...

I admire the work you put into putting the garden to bed. I'd do a lot more gardening if someone else did the dirty work for me.
;-) You are fortunate to have so many praying mantis in your garden to eat up the bad bugs.