Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Show & Tell: Needlework

I began my 'show & tell' blog post series back in January and promised to try to come up with a new installment each month for a year. May is almost over, so it's time for another! How about needlework? I love all forms of needlework and wish I was both better at it and had the time to dedicate to it. I've decorated with some needlework around my house to inspire me.

This is actually the end of a scarf that my great-grandfather gave to my great-grandmother. It was cut into two pieces and framed.

My grandmother started doing needlework from a very young age. She said she made this little sampler when she was 6. I plan to get around to framing it sometime.

My grandmother has made countless things over the years like this needlepoint seat.

These hooked 'rug' samplers were made by my great-aunt Ruth. I think they are so charming. This larger one is usually under a bowl to protect the surface of the cabinet.

These smaller ones depicting a house and barn are displayed in a curio.

I love the look of Asian needlework done in silks like this fish.

He's a bit faded, but looks rather fun next to the exotic looking letter opener. I assure you that as dangerous as that letter opener looks, it's really quite dull!

If you missed my other 'show & tell' posts, you can click on the label below!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful needlwork. In the olden days people seemed to have more time for the gentle arts, while we, with all our labour saving devices: don't!! You are lucky to have such heirlooms!!!

Anonymous said...

Really loved this post - it's so great you have such wonderful family heirlooms to share with us!

Anonymous said...

You are so fortunate to have such beautiful things from your family! I love the roses on the needlepoint seat. I bet each of your pieces here has a wonderful story attached to it, that would make a wonderful book!

Devorah said...

Thank you for sharing your family's talents. What wonderful memories to have and hold.

Hege said...

How beautiful! I just love seeing old needlework, how lucky you are to have these treasures.