Monday, August 20, 2007

Yarn Shopping and Tomato Progress

Sunday afternoon, I visited Sakonnet Purls to see if they had any more Classic Elite Wings and to browse the fall pattern books.

Since Classic Elite Wings is discontinued, there wasn't much choice left of colors for a contrasting band in my Green Tomato top. I finally chose a shade of purple. I'm not sure I love it as I was looking for a light, off white shade, but it is growing on me as I work on Tomato. It helps meet the purple requirement for Project Spectrum too!

As I'm having such a good time working with Wings, I selected 10 skeins in brown. That's fitting for Project Spectrum too, though I probably won't get it knitted up very soon. I have no idea what pattern I'll use it for, but I'm sure something will come to me. I could always make another Tomato!

There were a few new fall knitting books, but not the one I'd been hoping to buy (RYC Classic Tweed). I did enjoy looking at the beautiful photographs in Accessories, AM to PM and Travel (all from the RYC Classic Series), but those aren't top on my list at the moment! Even without buying any pattern books, I think 12 skeins of 1/2 price yarn was a pretty nice haul.

Having a contrast shade of yarn, I was able to continue to work on Tomato! Here is where I'm up to, or should I say down to?

This is my first ever stranding project. I found it very fun! Even though I know my stitches aren't totally even, I think I can cope with how it came out. Here is a detail of the pattern, but please don't look too closely at the uneven bits! Perhaps blocking will help?

I'll even let you have a peek at the reverse side showing my stranding!

What do you think of the color? It keeps changing on me. In some light the purple is darker and looks a little red, like burgundy, and I think of Christmas. Other light makes it look more like in these pictures, very grape. Maybe instead of Green Tomato I should be calling my version something relating to wine! Although, I've just thought, there are a few purple tomatoes, so perhaps I should call it Krim, after my favorite purple heirloom variety.

I can't say enough good things about this pattern so far. I keep staying up late at night to work on it! I'm probably about the last person in blogland to try it, but if you still haven't you must download your free pattern and knit =)

7 comments:

belaybunny said...

Looks like you've been really busy. I love your stranding, it's so neat. The top is looking great, I like the colours you've chosen. Nice biking photos too, I'm jealous as I couldn't get out on my bike last week being away.

I've nominated you for the rockin girl blogger award - see my blog for details!!!

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! I'm glad the warden finally let Jeff out! It's cool to change things up from time to time with a trail ride. Great pics as usual!

Anonymous said...

Oh The Tomato AKA Krim is looking really good. Your colour work looks fine and the 2 colours go together really well!! You're not last either: that would be me, always on the very end of a trend!!!

Anonymous said...

That's great that you were able to get over to SP and find the new yarn! Your stranding looks good!

I can't really comment on the color as it's hard to see on my monitor. You might try WEBS online though if you decide that you really want the ivory. I think Mystic Yarns has some too.

Anonymous said...

One of my most complimented upon sweaters is a green-purple combination. Your stranding is excellent and does not look like a first-time effort. As long as you are not knitting too tightly, blocking does smooth out any irregularities

Devorah said...

Your stranding looks just fine -- nice and neat. I love how the colors go together. Happy Knitting!

Curly Cable said...

Your tomota looks fabulous, really nice neat work and the stranding looks super, you must be really proud, Well done. Look forward to seeing more pictures soon ;)