Monday, December 17, 2007

Weekend Visit with Friends

Saturday, we drove to CT to visit with Debby and Chris. We went book shopping at the Book Barn in Niantic. (I got four and Jeff got a stack.) There are many cats living among the books. This little orange cat was especially cute curled up on a pony in the kiddie section.

You really never know when you'll turn around and be eye to eye with a cat! Here's a little tiger with Debby.

The same tiger really wanted to play with Jeff, but Jeff likes his fingers intact, so he didn't get too close to the claws!

After shopping at the Book Barn, we went to Essex which is a quaint New England town all decked out for Christmas. I experimented with my camera settings and was able to get a few shots even though it was pretty dark out. Here is a street scene.

And a typical colonial home, prettily lighted.

We did a little shopping on the main street. Jeff and I found a funny sign for our house, it says "Chien Lunitique". (Which will refer to our somewhat neurotic Silas, of course!) Also a lovely set of salt/spice cellars, glass with little spoons, from France. The shopkeeper wrapped them up in gorgeous paper and ribbon even though they were for me, so I can't bring myself to open them just yet. I'll get a picture for you when I do. After a delicious dinner out at The Black Seal, we stopped at the train station where a holiday steam train ride was getting ready to begin. I'm sorry the pics are sooo dark, but hopefully you can see a little bit of detail of the steam engine and decorated station.



Chris, Jeff and I were allowed to climb aboard and gaze into the coal fire. It was great to be near an inferno like that on such a cold evening!

After, we settled for the evening at Chris and Debby's house to watch a movie by the fireplace and play with their 3 sweet kitties. Also, Debby and I worked a little on our knitting projects.

4 comments:

knitseashore said...

Your photos came out really good!

I just caught up on your posts this morning and did leave a few comments. I don't know if you can see them via email or not, though. Silas and Saffy look like they really enjoy the snow.

Meg said...

What a lovely day... all that book shopping and snow! Wish I had been there!

Curly Cable said...

Looks like you had a fabulous day on Saturday, Your pictures are super, thankyou for sharing, I love the picture of the cute ginger cat asleep on the pony. The picture of Essex, ready for christmas is so pretty, I wish I lived in a house like that, and the super day all finished with a movie, cute kitties and some knitting, sounds like christmas bliss to me :)

Kristen said...

Love those Book Barn kitties. That is a pretty corner of CT to explore.