Friday, February 02, 2007

Blogger (Silent) Poetry Reading and Knitting Update

My Contribution to the Blogger Poetry reading:

On this gray, wintery day, I am dreaming of spring, of seeds sprouting and of trees turning green. This poem reflects my thoughts best. And, fittingly for Groundhog Day, even mentions the woodchuck.

Spring Oak
Above the quiet valley and unrippled lake
While woodchucks burrowed new holes, and birds sang,
And radicles began downward and shoots
Committed themselves to the spring
And entered with tiny industrious earthquakes,
A dry-rooted, winter-twisted oak
Revealed itself slowly. And one morning
When the valley underneath was still sleeping
It shook itself and was all green.

By Galway Kinnell

Information about Blogger Poetry Reading.
I found out about it when I read Ride.Knit.Read's contribution earlier.

Knitting Update:

Lara is seamed and all the yarn tails have been woven in. I'm just waiting for it to finish blocking so I can take a pic. The fronts of the shrug are completed and seamed at the shoulders to the back section. I'm currently working on the ribbing of the shrug and still have to finish seaming the Drops cardi.

I must confess that I have begun a project with the RYC Cashcotton I recently purchased even though I have these other projects on the needles! I am making a lace top that was published in Simply Knitting, but is also to be found in RYC Classic Summer. I started with the sleeves, probably the easiest bits. I am doing both at once, so they are squished on the needle, but you may be able to see that I am starting to cast off for the armhole shaping.

The 'wrong side' of this makes me think of weathered sea urchin shells on the beach with the spines worn off. I'm really enjoying the summery color and texture of the yarn and am looking forward to the more complex parts of the pattern.

The February Simply Knitting was available at the bookstore last night and I got a copy. I like the lace top on the cover and might try making it at some point. This issue came with some pretty blue heart stitch markers too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your post is so full of spring and summer -- I'm relieved the groundhog predicts early spring! I like what you said about the yarn looking like sea urchins...it really does! You have lots of pretty projects in progres. :)